Monday 3 March 2014

Episode VI: The Return of The Scientist

After a long delay, and much thought I am back... and, unlike Luke returning to his aunt and uncle's place after a Storm Trooper raid, I have good news! More on that in a moment. First the question which I know is whirring around all your grey matter: Where have I been?

The more attentive followers may remember that some time ago I had a big decision to make, to stay in education or move out into the big wide world of taxes, suits and smug business men. You can read that post here. So I made that choice, and I chose the big wide world away from the comforts of student halls, body shots and drinks for a quid. What did I do you ask? Having discovered to my dismay, as have countless science graduates recently, that having a degree in a certain discipline, in no way means you can then go and work in that discipline I eventually took up a job as a 'Medical Sales Representative'. If you're wondering what that means, it means I sell prescription drugs to doctors. 

This 'dream job' that was sold to me came with a good starting salary, a company car and even a pension. Yet after one month of driving around to countless meetings, all of which selling the same dull products of which I have no interest in, I realised the gravity of the mistake I had made. I needed the lab back, I needed the experiments, I needed everything that I gave up when I chose not to pursue postgraduate education. I need a PhD I feel my mind screaming at me. 

So, back to that good news I mentioned at the start of this post: After months of trying to identify a project that I felt comfortable that I had a great interest in, writing out personal statements, CVs and desperately trying to get my old lecturers to submit references on time, I believe I am on the verge of being offered a place. I had the interview, big tick. My next step is to meet the company funding the project, which the interviewer (and hopefully future supervisor) told me would be a formality...

If all goes well, I'll stay around here to let you know what's going on, rant, empty my mind, and offer advice to anyone who wants it. 

Let's do this.




No comments:

Post a Comment